Dental inlays and onlays are porcelain restorations that can restore teeth affected by tooth decay, cavities, or excessive wear and tear. These restorations are customized based on the contour of the tooth and are cemented in position using dental adhesives. Inlays are a better alternative to dental fillings, and onlays can be used in place of crowns in some cases. At All Smile Dental in California, we provide these advanced restorations to correct various imperfections of the smile.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
There are several benefits associated with inlays and onlays, including:
- They can be used to fill larger cavities.
- Inlays restore the tooth’s strength and keep it from falling apart.
- They offer excellent sealing properties.
- They prevent harmful bacteria from entering the cavity and causing infection.
- Onlays repair the biting surface or cusp of a severely worn-out tooth.
- They reinstate the mouth’s functionality and enable you to eat food efficiently.
- They demonstrate excellent strength and durability.
- They are custom-fabricated to fit brilliantly without changing your natural bite.
- They can be created to match the appearance of the tooth enamel.
- They give a discreet appearance and blend seamlessly with the existing natural teeth.
Procedure for Inlays & Onlays
The procedure for placing both inlays and onlays is very much similar. During the initial appointment, Dr. A. P. Singh will first perform a comprehensive screening of the oral cavity and determine the severity of the cavities or wear and tear of the teeth. The information collected through scans and X-rays will enable us to evaluate your need for these restorations. With the help of this data, we will create 3D digital impressions of the teeth and utilize them as a reference for manufacturing inlays and onlays.
Once the restorations are prepared in our dental laboratory, we will clean the teeth meticulously and roughen their surface using a mild etching solution. This roughening helps the restoration stay firmly bonded to the tooth. After checking the fitting of the inlays or onlays, we will then secure them to the tooth using dental adhesives. If we need to carry out any alterations to the contour or size of the restoration, we will do so before bonding it. Finally, a bite test will be performed, and the restoration will be polished.
If you want to know more about onlay and inlay restorations, visit any of our All Smile Dental offices in California. We are located at 1647 Countryside Dr, Turlock, CA 95380 and 1100 Carver Rd. #5, Modesto, CA 95350. You can reach us at (209) 409-8839 and (209) 668-3736.