The frenum, or the tissue that attaches the gums to the inner lips and cheeks, can lead to the condition called as being tongue-tie, marked by the pulling on the gums when the cheeks or lips are moved. Eventually, these pulls might lead to the recession or shrinking away of the gums from the tooth. This happens when the frenum is very short and tight, thus restricting the tongue movement. This condition can thus cause problems to newborns during breastfeeding and possible speech problems as they grow up.
In addition, the frenum restrictions can cause the following difficulties throughout the lifetime of the patient if left untreated:
Altered/restricted growth and development of the jaw and dental arches.
- Crowded teeth.
- Limited facial muscle movement.
- Improper swallowing.
- Disordered eating.
- Chronic mouth breathing.
- Gum-related problems.
- Improper open mouth resting posture.
- Open bite, deep bite, cross bite.
- Changed head and neck posture.
- Neck and back muscle pain.
- Nasal sinus congestion.
Airway obstruction disorders, causing issues like snoring, Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome, and sleep apnea.
At All Smile Dental, we perform the frenectomy procedure to fix this issue by cutting the lingual frenulum to restore oral functionality.
A frenectomy involves the reposition or release of the frenum from its attachment to allow the full range motion of the tongue. We offer sedation-free frenectomies with the help of laser technology to reverse the current and future complications of being tongue-tied and help restore healthy oral functionality in our patients.
Benefits of Frenectomy
- A frenectomy procedure releases the tongue-tie, a baby can properly latch on to the breast while breastfeeding, thus improving their health and wellbeing.
- By releasing tongue-tie with a frenectomy procedure, it is possible to remove issues associated with palatal development, tooth spacing, and tooth decay.
- Frenectomy procedures can prevent issues related to speech, swallowing, and periodontal disease.
- If the condition of being tongue-tied is detected before the eruption of a child’s permanent teeth, a frenectomy procedure can help prevent unnecessary spaces developed between the teeth that might otherwise require orthodontics.
Benefits of a Laser Frenectomy at All Smile Dental
Besides the benefits mentioned above, undergoing a laser frenectomy at All Smile Dental Office can yield these advantages as well.
- Laser frenectomies are precise, quick, and the patients do not require general anesthesia.
- Laser frenectomy produces only minimal discomfort or swelling. Besides, the laser procedure sterilizes the treatment area, thus preventing the possibility of infection.
- Laser procedures produce minimal bleeding, and most patients do not require any sutures.
- A laser frenectomy results in quicker recovery.
Do you want to know more about the Frenectomy procedure at All Smile Dental? Call our Turlock, CA 95380 dental office at (209) 668-3736 or Modesto, CA 95350 dental office at (209) 409-883.